North South Comparison
In the past we could see that foreign investors mainly looked at South Vietnam. However, over the recent years, Vietnam has invested heavily in infrastructure in North Vietnam (see table with comparison):
All these investments made North Vietnam more attractive. Over the last 5 years, North Vietnam managed to attract half of FDI into Vietnam. In 2016, the most popular investment destination is Haiphong city.
Haiphong: Vietnam’s gateway to the world
- Established in 1888
- Third largest city in Vietnam
- 102km east of Hanoi
- Major port and industrial city of north Vietnam
- 638 foreign projects with a total value of 17.11 bil. USD
Business in North Vietnam is supported by the implementation of masterplan for state-of-the-art infrastructure with Haiphong as an epicenter of these developments:
- Lach Huyen deep sea port in Haiphong (Haiphong International Container Terminal)
- New Highway connection Haiphong To Hanoi
- New Coastal highway connecting China and surrounding provinces to Haiphong
- Sea-crossing bridge to connect Lach Huyen deep sea port to Hinterland
- New international airports in Hanoi, Haiphong and Quang Ninh
This infrastructure booming, together with numerous governmental incentives, supported by central authority Haiphong has made Haiphong an excellent destination for the setup of a new factory.
In April 2019, JLL wrote an extensive report on the vision for growth of Haiphong as a core industrial hub which comes with a conclusion that Haiphong has all the necessary ingredients to develop into a true global port city.
Education and workspace
- More than 2 million inhabitants (6 million people in a 30 km radius)
- Average age below 30 years
- 1.2 million within working age
- 50,000 graduates and 5000 engineers annually
- 4 Universities, 60 colleges and vocational schools
- Trained labour rate: 75%
Living and working in Haiphong
Since every year more and more companies are moving to Vietnam, also more expats are coming to Haiphong. Haiphong has much to offer to enjoy.
- (Serviced) Apartments
- Private houses
- QSI International school
- International hospital
- International polyclinic